When do I need an encroachment permit?

An encroachment permit is needed anytime you wish to perform any work or store any item in the public right-of-way. This is the area outside your property that generally includes the sidewalk, curb and gutter, planting strip, driveway cut to your property and the street. An encroachment permit is not only the mechanism by which you gain permission to do work in the right-of-way, but it also assures that your work will be inspected to established standards and, upon acceptance, protects you from potential liability that may otherwise come about by substandard or unauthorized work.

For more information about the encroachment permit and general requirements, visit the Permits page.

Show All Answers

1. When will a lower speed limit be posted on my street?
2. What flood zone is my property in?
3. Does somebody have to be Injured before a traffic signal will be installed?
4. Who is responsible to fix the sidewalk?
5. When does the street sweeper sweep my street?
6. When do I need an encroachment permit?
7. Where does the homeowner's responsibility for water service begin?
8. When are we going to get some bikeways in our neighborhood?
9. Why doesn't the City put up "children at play" signs?
10. Why don't you put in more stop signs?
11. Can I get a transportation permit online?
12. Where can I get sandbags?
13. How do I report a street light outage?
14. How do I report potholes, uneven sidewalks, or damaged road signs?
15. What do I do if my sewer line is backed up?
16. How do I report traffic/parking problems or make traffic-related suggestions?
17. How do I get a debris box or storage bin?
18. How do I get traffic calming measures (like speed humps) installed on my street?