I'm feeling overwhelmed by all this, who can I call?
  • For information, referrals, and assessments for local mental health and substance use services, please contact your health insurance company to connect to a resource within your insurance company’s network. 
  • For residents insured by Medi-Cal, call Behavioral Health and Recovery Services’ ACCESS Call Center at 800-686-0101. (Please note that neither of these lines provides medical advice regarding coronavirus. Please speak to your doctor about specific questions. For non-medical or non-emergency advice regarding coronavirus, please call 2-1-1 for more information.) 
  • For 24/7 confidential crisis support from local/national organizations, call 650-579-0350 or 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Chat online: text “START” to 741741.

Show All Answers

1. Where can I get information about prevention measures?
2. Where can I find out what the San Mateo County Health Officer is advising?
3. What restrictions are in place?
4. Who should I call for non-emergency information related to COVID-19?
5. How long will this last?
6. Is the tap water safe to drink in San Bruno?
7. Is COVID-19 testing available?
8. Are city offices open?
9. What happens if I have an emergency and city offices are closed?
10. How can I pay my utility bill?
11. How can I pay my CityNet Services bill?
12. I have an active building/encroachment permit. How do I schedule an inspection?
13. How can I pull an encroachment permit with Public Works?
14. Where can I return my library books or other library materials?
15. Are there any San Bruno Library online services?
16. What can I do while I am home with my family?
17. I'm feeling overwhelmed by all this, who can I call?
18. Where can I go if I have additional questions?