On behalf of your Mayor, City Councilmembers, and City staff, we hope you enjoy a safe 4th of July Holiday! San Bruno is one of two cities in San Mateo County that allow the sale and use of Safe and Sane ﬁreworks. The revenue from the sale of Safe and Sane ﬁreworks helps many community organizations provide a variety of programs that beneﬁt the community, including youth sports programs, booster clubs, and non-proﬁt groups. All of these organizations contribute to enhance the quality of life in San Bruno. To ensure that all residents have the opportunity to have a safe and enjoyable holiday, the Police and Fire Departments will again be working to make sure that all residents are well informed regarding the use of Safe and Sane ﬁreworks. These efforts are necessary because past experience during the 4th of July Holiday has shown there continues to be unsafe practices and the use of illegal ﬁreworks. Please keep in mind, Safe and Sane ﬁreworks are devices that do not ﬂy (have no aerial effects) or explode. Items that are classiﬁed as Safe and Sane include sparklers, snaps, smoke balls, fountains, snakes, and, in some cases, wheels. Illegal items include ﬁrecrackers, rockets and cakes. When using Safe and Sane ﬁreworks, keep the following safety precautions in mind:
• Know your ﬁreworks. Read the cautionary labels and performance descriptions before igniting.
• A responsible adult should be present at all times. Never give ﬁreworks to children.
• Alcohol and ﬁreworks do not mix.
• Wear safety glasses when igniting ﬁreworks.
• Light only one ﬁrework at a time and then quickly move away.
• Use ﬁreworks only outdoors in a clear area.
• Never relight a “dud” ﬁrework. Wait 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water.
• Always have a bucket of water and charged hose with nozzle near-by and dispose of ﬁreworks by wetting them down and placing them in a metal trash can away from buildings and combustible materials.
• Never carry ﬁreworks in your pocket.
• Immediately report illegal explosives and ﬂying ﬁreworks such as M-80’s and bottle rockets to the Police Department by calling 9-1-1.
The use of Safe and Sane ﬁreworks is allowed from 12:00 Noon until 9:00 p.m. beginning Wednesday, June 28 through Monday, July 3, and from 12:00 Noon until 11:00 p.m. on Tuesday, July 4. Safe and Sane ﬁreworks are only allowed on private property and at least 10 feet away from any residence, building, or structure.
Fireworks are not allowed on public property such as streets, parks, schools, or private open areas such as parking lots or vacant property without the consent of the owner. Extra police patrols will be deployed throughout the City. Ofﬁcers will be strictly enforcing the laws that prohibit the use of illegal ﬁreworks in San Bruno. Anyone found using illegal ﬁreworks within the City limits will be cited and ﬁned up to $1,000. All of our efforts are committed to making this an enjoyable holiday for the entire community. Please do your part to make sure this is a safe 4th of July for the San Bruno community. Questions regarding ﬁreworks in San Bruno can be directed to the Police Department at (650) 616-7100.