Close Panel

Solid Waste & Recycling

  • Email
  • Print

The City of San Bruno has partnered with Recology San Bruno to provide compost, recycling, and landfill collection and disposal services to residential and commercial customers. The City sponsors events such as Clean Your Files Day (an Earth Day event to promote recycling of office paper), Operation Clean Sweep (the City's annual litter clean-up event), and Coats for Kids (a reuse program for winter clothes). For more information, visit Recology San Bruno's homepage be clicking the link.

Recology also has information on how you can comply with recent State Assembly Bills for Mandatory Commercial Recycling (AB 341) and Mandatory Organics Recycling (AB 1826).




To view your collection schedule, visit the following link

Bulky Item Collection 

For large items that don't fit in your cart, like old furniture, appliances or mattresses, you can schedule an On-Call Collection here.

If it’s possible that some of your items, such as sofas and tables, could find a new life, please consider donating to a non-profit in the City of San Bruno or San Mateo County. 

Electronic and Universal Waste 

Electronic waste, such as fluorescent tubes and consumer batteries, are prohibited from the trash. Electronic waste contains a variety of toxic components like lead, cadmium and mercury, arsenic and flame retardants, and when dumped in a landfill, these materials can contaminate the soil and ground water, thus impacting surrounding areas.

Electronic waste includes: batteries, fluorescent bulbs, computers, monitors, cords, phones, TVs, VCRs, DVD players, stereos, microwave ovens, or iPods.

For more information on how to recycle your batteries or to find out where your batteries go when you're done using them, click here!

Drop off at the San Bruno Transfer Station or donate to Goodwill.

Many manufacturers also take back their old equipment for reuse and recycling:

Household Hazardous Waste

Hazardous waste, including electronic waste, accounts for significant amounts of toxic waste in landfills. Items such as electronics, fluorescent bulbs and tubes, paints, pesticides, cleaning products, old medications and other chemicals are illegal to put in the garbage or pour down a drain or gutter because they contaminate our soil, drinking water and air.

The San Bruno Transfer Station accepts the following types of household hazardous waste (accepted from San Bruno residents only; photo IDs required)

  • Water-based paint (latex)
  • Oil-based paint
  • Motor oil and filters
  • Anti-freeze
  • Car batteries
  • Household batteries
  • Fluorescent Tubes

The San Mateo County Household Hazardous Waste Program accepts the following items:

  • Art and hobby supplies
  • Furniture and metal polishes
  • Household cleaners
  • Oil and latex based paint
  • Paint thinner
  • Pesticides
  • Photographic chemicals
  • Pool chemicals

Illegal Dumping

San Bruno places strict controls on dumping waste on private and public property. Blocked streets and sidewalks create safety hazards, and storage of waste in public right-of-ways and private property lowers property values, creates a public nuisance, and can be a safety and healthy hazard.

If you notice illegal dumping, submit a Service Request through San Bruno Responds

Polystyrene (Styrofoam) Ban

Effective April 1, 2010, food vendors using disposable food service ware are prohibited from dispensing prepared food to customers in disposable food service wear made from polystyrene.

Polystyrene Ban Ordinance

Single Use Plastic Bag Ban

Effective April 22, 2013, the San Bruno Reusable Bag Ordinance launched, requiring that retailers no longer provide customers with single-use plastic carry-out bags.

Staff Report 
Reusable Bag Ordinance

*The City's franchise with Recology San Bruno is an exclusive agreement.  This means that San Bruno residents and businesses are not allowed to select competing haulers for garbage or recycling services (including debris boxes).  If you need any garbage or recycling services, please call Recology San Bruno at (650) 583-8536.  To report a problem with the service you receive, please call the City Manager's office at (650) 616-7056.