Pruning / Removing a Tree

Can I prune or remove a tree on my property?

A permit is needed:

  1. When pruning a tree and removing up to one-quarter of the crown or existing foliage of the tree, or up to one-quarter of the root system.
  2. When removing a tree.

Can I prune or remove my street tree?

City trees, including street trees, are pruned every four years by the City. Pruning areas have been established so that approximately one-quarter of the trees are pruned each winter. If you are concerned about the health of your tree, please fill out the online request form and the City arborist will come out and take a look at it.

If you do not wish to use the Tree-Related Concerns form, you may report a tree-related concern by calling the Parks Division at 650-616-7187. Non-emergency work requests to be reviewed during normal business hours. If you believe the issue poses a hazard, please call our Police Department at 650-616-7100.

  1. Parks Division

    Physical Address
    1125 Crystal Springs Road
    San Bruno, CA 94066

    Mailing Address
    567 El Camino Real
    San Bruno, CA 94066

  2. Dan Venezia

    Parks Services Manager
    Phone: 650-616-7194

  3. John Bryant

    Field Supervisor - Parks
    Phone: 650-616-7197