- Community & Economic Development
- Planning Division
!ATTENTION! While the Community & Economic Development Department public counter is available during regular business hours, use of virtual services are highly recommended. A representative can be reached by calling (650) 616-7074 to arrange a call-back or Zoom Meeting with either building or planning representatives.
The Planning Division administers the City's land use regulations, including the General Plan, Specific Plans and Zoning Ordinance, and the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA). The Planning Division's main responsibilities are to:
- Review planning applications for compliance with the San Bruno Municipal Code and relevant federal, state and regional regulations.
- Inspect completed project to ensure compliance with all conditions of approval.
- Provide technical assistance to the public and applicants for development projects.
- Perform research, prepare technical reports and recommend actions to the Planning Commission, Architectural Review Committee, City Council, Bicycle and Pedestrian Committee, and other committees, commissions, and governmental bodies.
- Prepare new and update existing planning documents to guide the future growth and development of San Bruno.
Planning Counter Hours
A member of the Planner Division staff is generally available at the Community and Economic Development public service counter in City Hall during office hours, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 5 pm. We request that you schedule an appointment to ensure that a planner is available. To schedule an appointment, please contact the Department at 650-616-7074.
Accessory Dwelling Units
As part of the City’s efforts to streamline ADU construction, there is no longer a separate Planning entitlement (zoning verification review) at the beginning of the process.
Review contact information for the departments and staff.
The Planning Division coordinates the City's review of residential, commercial, office, and industrial development projects.
Development Impact Fees & Planning Application Processing Fees
On February 26, 2019, the City Council adopted San Bruno Municipal Code Chapter 12.260 Development Impact Fees that imposes fees upon development projects to fully or partially offset the costs of public facilities and infrastructure that is needed to serve new demand created by development projects.
Long range planning prepares the planning documents that provide the land use and regulatory framework for the long-term future growth (5 to 15 years) and development of the City.
Planning Application Submittal Process
Please review the steps carefully for a planning application submittal.
The Planning Commission advises the City Council on the adoption and on-going review of the General Plan for the physical growth of San Bruno.
Small Cell Wireless Communications Facilities in San Bruno
To regulate the installation of small cell wireless facilities by wireless communication companies consistent with recently adopted Federal regulations, the City of San Bruno has drafted a new municipal code ordinance and related resolution regulating these facilities in the City's right-of-way and easements in public and private properties.
Cannabis Regulations & Permitting